AIMS Retreat Session Notes 4-26-06
What are the implications of this book for education?
What would cause us to change the way we do things?
- if someone figured out how to outsource our function
- Stanford is forming a virtual high school (NAIS connected)
- when the job market changes (fewer white collar jobs) can be a tipping point
- our alumni will no longer have good opportunities perhaps
- enrollment decline will be the tipping point
- if the public schools change, that will force us to change
Our schools should be a "self-contained experience of intrinsic value" (Knight Kiplinger).
Four Types of Specialists Who Will Succeed:
- people who have to be there (service sector, tradesmen)
- people incredibly good at what they do (heart surgeon, engineer)
- people who are very flexible and adaptable
- people with human connection social skills