Many schools use their own email server (FirstClass or Exchange) to handle email broadcasts. There are also many services which will handle email broadcasts. Many of the following services use a web interface, offer tech support, and support multiple lists. Pricing was obtained in Nov. 2005.
- Boomerang Email Marketing Solutions - First 100 emails is free. Plans start at $9.95 per month for up to 500 emails.
- Campaign Monitor - $5 plus 1 cent per recipient for each mailing
- Protus Messaging Service $20 setup fee, 4 cents per email
- Vertical Response 1-1,000 1.5 cents per recipient
- Constant Contact - 0-50 free, 51-500 $15 per month, 501-2,500 $30 per month unlimited number of emails. Not clear if there is a charge for each list maintained.
- BROADCASTER Unlimited broadcasts with HTML and recipient tracking capacity. Included with all iR solutions, and there are no setup or transaction fees. BROADCASTER works directly within your database, allows you to customize each individual message, and can be sent from and reply-to the e-mail address(es) of your choice.
- L-Soft E-Mail List Management Software has a number of different options including simple or complicated software. They also have hosted options for those not wanting to run their own servers. Their product powers the ISED Listserv Categories of software offered: E-mail Marketing, E-mail List Management
- LISTSERV is a powerful email list management software solution that sets the industry standard. It allows you to easily manage opt-in email lists, such as email newsletters, announcement lists and discussion groups.
- ListPlex is a high-end hosting service that allows you to outsource your email lists under a virtual domain name for seamless integration with the rest of your Internet presence. Our experienced staff will take care of your lists and ensure the delivery of your messages.
- EASE hosting services offer an alternative to ListPlex for customers who want to outsource their email lists but are comfortable with having them on a shared server with other EASE lists under a common L-Soft domain name. E-Mail Marketing Software from Lsoft:
- LISTSERV Maestro is a complete email marketing software solution. It allows you to manage and track sophisticated, database-driven opt-in email marketing campaigns with a powerful, yet easy-to-use Web interface.
- ListPlex Maestro is a hosted email marketing service that allows you to manage and track sophisticated opt-in email marketing campaigns with a powerful, yet easy-to-use Web interface. You can use your own virtual domain name and customized tracking URL. Recipients will not be aware that the email marketing campaigns are outsourced.
- EASE Maestro is a hosting service that offers an alternative to ListPlex Maestro for customers who do not need a virtual domain name or the more advanced database connectivity features.
WebSite Companies Offering Email BroadcastingEdit
- SilverPoint, one of the major players in web design and hosting for schools also includes a broadcast email capability, integrated with the school's directory that is usually part of the school website.
- We are using a web based program called spiral software systems http://www.spiralemt.com/, which handles our school management system for data, report cards, attendance, discipline, scheduling, alumni, etc. As part of the program, it can broadcast e-mails.
Open Source SolutionsEdit
- Mailman is free software for managing electronic mail discussion and e-newsletter lists. Mailman is integrated with the web, making it easy for users to manage their accounts and for list owners to administer their lists. Mailman supports built-in archiving, automatic bounce processing, content filtering, digest delivery, spam filters, and more. See the features page for details.
- Majordomo is a program which automates the management of Internet mailing lists. Commands are sent to Majordomo via electronic mail to handle all aspects of list maintenance. Once a list is set up, virtually all operations can be performed remotely by email, requiring no intervention upon the postmaster of the list site. (For a web-based interface to Majordomo, see the MajorCool add-on package). Features:
- Supports various types of lists, including moderated
- All list management activities are handled by email, so list owners don't need access to Majordomo server machine
- Supports archival and remote retrieval of messages
- Supports digests
- Modular design - use only the features you need
- Written in Perl - easily customizable and expandable
- Includes support for FTPMAIL
- Supports confirmation of subscriptions, to protect against forged subscription requests
- List filters, based on header or body regular expressions
- PHPlist is a double opt-in newsletter manager. It is written in PHP and uses an SQL database for storing the information. PHPlist is software that runs on a server.