Laptop batteries typically are only under warranty for one year and usually need to be replaced after two years.
Battery Vendors & ResellersEdit
- We use ITXchange for most of the Lenovo batteries we purchase. They sell both new and used, manufacturer and generic. We always get the new Lenovo batteries. They come with the full one-year warranty. If they don't have what we want, we generally check BlueRaven.com next, although their batteries only come with a 6-month warranty. Retrieved from ISED-L list, 3-13-08
Optimizing Battery LifeEdit
New batteries or new portable computers will come with directions on how to maximize battery life. Usually the directions tell you to fully charge the battery before first use, and then to fully discharge it and then fully recharge it again. Other tips for extending battery longevity include:
- Don't leave it plugged in all the time.
- Don't leave the computer in a hot car (or trunk) during the summer.
- Don't constantly "top it off." (e.g. Use it for a few minutes away from your desk and then plug it back in.)
- Fully discharge it at least once a month
- If you're not going to use it for 6 months, store it with a 50% charge. If you store it with the battery empty, it could fall into a "deep discharge state," which makes it unable to hold a charge, or if you store it fully charged for a long time, it may experience some loss of capacity. Be sure to store the battery at the proper temperature. source
Optimizing Battery PowerEdit
To give your battery powered laptop/tablet the longest amount of running time, you can take the following actions:
- Dim your screen to the lowest amount that it is still comfortable for your eyes. (There is usually a function key or control panel to control screen brightness.)
- Turn off your wireless switch if you don't need access to a network. (Same goes for Bluetooth.)
- Playing a CD or DVD takes more power than playing music or video that is stored on your hard drive.
- The manufacturer's power control panel will have advanced options for maximizing power consumption, such as decreased processor speed.
- Quit unused applications and remove unused peripheral devices.