Retrieved from ISED-L list-serv 9/08, CC3.0 a, s-a, nc license
Question posed by Lisa S.: I am preparing a document for my new school system in regards to 1:1 computing. One thing I am planning to include are frequently asked questions, that I can back with research. So, I am curious to the 3-5 most commonly asked questions when proposing a 1:1 program, in particular the questions that parents/guardians ask.
Thanks to Tami B. for posting this response on the ISED list-serv: (please add to and edit this wiki page)
Parents will ask:
- Who's paying for it? How long will it last? (Plan for purchase/lease/cycling)
- What happens when it breaks? Gets stolen? Gets lost? (Plan for repair/replacement)
- Why do the kids need a laptop (because I didn't need it when I was in school)? How will it be used?
- Mac or PC? What model? What software will be on it?
- Will we need to have wireless at home?
- We have a computer at home. You have labs/carts at school. What's the benefit of giving my kid a laptop?
- What happens over the summer?
- What kind of filter does it have?
Kids will ask:
- Can I install/download __________ (games, AIM...) 2. What software will it have?
- Why do I need it for ____________ (pick a class) 4. What do I do with it during ___________ (lunch, PE, after school activities...)
- Are you going to tell my parents when _____________ (it breaks, I install banned software, I lose it...)
- How big is it? Will it fit in my backpack? What's the case like?
- Can I customize it (themes, desktop, screensavers...)
- Does it have a filter?
Faculty will ask:
- What kind of training will we have?
- What are the expectations for use?
- How am I supposed to control a classroom when every kid has his own laptop?
- Where are they (the kids) going to put them during math/P.E./Art (pick a class that thinks they'll never use the computer)?
You know your program is taking off when you hear:
- What are kids supposed to do in my class until their loaner is ready?
- When will we have training on___________ (fill in the blank on a new technology as applied in the classroom)?
- Can you work with me to plan how my class can ______________ (and the teacher doesn't mention the technology, just the outcome)?
- I didn't know what to do, but the kids figured it out (or showed me), and it worked just fine.
- I can't turn my computer in for repair. I need it for class.
- I can't wait until ______ class. We're working on... (And you find out later that the project involves technology)
- I've never worked so hard in class!
- I wish I had one when I was in school.
- I didn't know he/she could do something like that.
- I wish he/she could keep it during the summer.